|Location:||The Lodge at Woodloch|
GENERAL PURPOSE OF JOB
Supervise and coordinate all activities of the kitchen; to manage all line level kitchen staff, to ensure food quality and presentation, and maintain organization and cleanliness of a professional kitchen. This position will report directly to the Chef DeCuisine and Executive Chef.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Expect yearly average of at least 50 hours/week
- Hour are driven by business needs – may exceed average during high occupancy periods
- Assist with designing menus & recipes
- Establish food cost goals & insure they are met in each operation
- Develop & utilize recipes – insure staff are following correctly
- Establish and update ingredient lists
- Awareness of freshness & quality of dishes served
- Conduct food tastings with vendors & seek input
- Evaluate food presentations including plated & buffets
- Ensure The Lodge strictly adheres to state & federal regulations for food handling, storage, preparation & other safety & sanitation codes.
- Set & maintain the standard for overall cleanliness.
- Maintain Serv-Safe Program & certifications for kitchen staff
- Involved with upkeep & requisitioning of new equipment
- Work closely with vendors – assist with placing orders & inventory
- Help with setting budgets & benchmarking goals
- Review monthly financial statements with General Manager & kitchen leadership
- Help devise marketing strategies or themes/packages that widen brand awareness & generate business
- Conduct cooking demonstrations for guests education/enjoyment and/or others to train
- Food Displays and/or buffets’ appearance and functionality
- Develop & maintain Food Allergy and Food Intolerances program. Work closely with FOH team in this effort
- Form strong relationships with FOH team realizing the kitchen and dining room must work as a team & rely on each other to be successful
- Maximize productivity by observing how we currently operate & then making adjustments where necessary
- Assist with recruiting & hiring process for a skilled culinary team
- Help Executive Chef with training program & involved in the process
- Mentor the culinary team – inspire; educate; guide; reprimand when necessary
- Awareness of waste & determine how best to reduce
- Knowledge of & concern with scheduling, labor costs & efficiencies
- Conduct performance reviews with Executive Chef for kitchen staff, stewards, dishwashing staff & their areas within the scope of responsibility
- Stewards, dishwashing staff & their areas within scope of responsibility
- Work closely with Executive Chef, Chef de Cuisine, Gardening Team & Blackmore Farm Team to ensure we are utilizing the harvested produce to the best of our ability.
- Communicate as needed with the farm to assist with ordering from our other “traditional” vendors
Management Style Required
- Able to spot problems & resolve them quickly & efficiently
- Level-headed approach
- Conflict Resolution – able to identify problems & resolve them quickly & effectively
- Able to teach, mentor & delegate
- Possess a high level of time management skills
- Have a passion for food
- Flexible schedule & able to work when needed – lead by example
- Creativity for menu development, operational challenges, employee development, etc.
- Able to motivate others – able to increase morale
- Be involved operationally when & where needed i.e. working the line / helping prep / setting up a buffet
The position requires several years of professional experience with a proven track record of success. The Sous Chef needs to possess distinguished culinary skills and be able to apply his/her skills to best meet our guests’ needs.
Alternatively, you can apply to this job using your profile on one of the following sites: